The History of GCCFSA

Devon Rex

T

he Governing Council of the Cat Fancy of SA formed in its own right in 1962 and previously from 1957 to 1962 S A Cat Fancy was affiliated with the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy of Victoria and had a Consultative Committee based in South Australia.

In 1957, the formation of the Cat Fancy in South Australia was laid with the formation of The Cat Fancier's Society Of S.A. The Society held its first show in June of that year, and as this was the first to be held in Adelaide since pre war years. Entries were Longhairs and Siamese. Other Clubs were formed including the SA Cat Breeders Association, the Longhair Cat Club and the Siamese Cat Club. Later other clubs formed including 3 country clubs at Whyalla, Mount Gambier and Naracoorte. The Whyalla Cat Club had a very strong group of members eventually having their own venue and cages at the Whyalla show grounds.

Governing Council now consists of the following clubs Adelaide Cat Club, All British Cat Society of SA, Cat Fancier's Society of SA, Foreign Shorthair Cat Club of SA, Rex & Burmese Cat Fanciers, SA Cat Breeders Association and Tandanya Cat Club.

Governing Council has always had an independent chairperson who has included lawyers and veterinary surgeons. All clubs are represented at Governing Council meetings with four club delegates initially and now 3 club delegates. All clubs also have proxy delegates. All office bearers come from the delegates or proxy delegates. Governing Council also hold programming meetings between full Council where each club is represented by one club delegate.